Zoom Lessons at Jennings Music
Onsite Lessons now available!
In response to the current Coronavirus situation, we at Jennings Music have vigilantly clean pianos, equipment and common surfaces to provide a safe environment for our students and instructors. Although we completely trust that students and instructors will use their best judgement regarding their health before coming to the studio, we cannot guarantee that anyone unknowingly might be exposed due to the contagious nature of the virus. Therefore, we continue to offer online lessons for students who prefer not to be in studio.
Guidelines and Instructions for Students
JMEC is utilizing Zoom.us as our official video lessons software. However, some of our instructors (due to compatibility or familiarity), may utilize other platforms such Skype, Google Duo, Face Time, etc.
The following is necessary for your lessons to be a success:
- For younger students, parents should be present at the lesson to assist with technology and supervise the student to ensure participation.
- You will need a laptop or computer with camera, tablet or i-pad, or a smartphone to participate. Devise should be fully charged or plugged in at the beginning of the lesson.
- Microphones are very sensitive so lessons should occur in a quiet environment isolated from external noise such as televisions, radios, kitchen noises, sibling voices and conversations, etc.
- Student and instructor will not be able to play at the same time due to the slight delay in the meeting.
- Student or parent should not hold the devise. It should be placed on a stationary surface for best results.
Starting your lesson in Zoom:
- First Video Lesson – Please join lesson 15 minutes ahead of schedule lesson time. Most devices will require a small download of an app to join the lesson.
- Arrive in the Video Lesson at 5 minutes ahead to maximize your time with the instructor.
- Just like in the studio, the instructors may be in another lesson ahead of yours, so please be patient.
- Open the email notification for the meeting in your email provider.
- Select the link titled “Join Zoom Meeting”.
- If you have not downloaded the Zoom app, you may be prompted to do so.
- Select “Join with Video” button.
- A box will appear with “To hear others please join audio”. Select “Call using Internet Audio”.
- Tablet, smartphone or camera should be placed facing student.
- The student/instrument should be in view of the camera.
- For piano students, we recommend placing the camera at one end of the keyboard so that the student’s hands and keyboard are visible.